Solidor tower in Saint Malo, Brittany, France 15 Jan 2017
About this photo
Tour Solidor (Solidor Tower) is a strengthened keep located on the estuary of the River Rance in the town of Saint Servan, Brittany, overlooking the harbour. Construction started here in 1369 and ended in 1382 by order of John IV, Duke of Brittany, to control the town of Saint Malo as they would not accept or recognise his authority.
Eventually the fortification was made redundant and turned into a gaol (prison) for a brief period. It is now a museum that honours the first sailors from Saint Malo that crossed Cape Horn at the end of the 17th century. Visit Saint Malo on Insight Guides’ Northern France Tour: City to Coast.